Farrington Development Blog
Pay Attention to Your Website
Pay Attention to Your Website monitoring and alerting system
- Log monitoring and alerting systems are available for free or for a fee. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for—or, in this case, you don't get what you don't pay for.
- You must ensure your monitoring tool is properly set up to notify the appropriate people at the appropriate times. A good website monitoring service will alert your entire IT team via email, pager or cell phone if it detects an outage.
- Make sure the company's alerts are reliable—one of the biggest complaints about some of these services is that they send out false alarms.*
Of course, no website is perfect, and there's almost always something that could be improved. This is why monitoring your site frequently is so important. If you're monitoring your site consistently, you'll notice small issues right away and be able to fix them quickly before they become a big problem. Good practices for website monitoring include:
- Setting up Google Alerts for your domain name and brand name
- Checking the site manually on a regular basis
- Using free tools like Siteliner to check for broken links or duplicate content
Record any errors. If you encounter any errors, write down details such as the message that appears, the date and time of the error, which page or feature is causing it to occur and your location. If possible, take a screenshot of the error or copy and paste its wording from your browser window. Save these records in a file on your computer or print them out. Also include information about your browser (for example, Internet Explorer 9) and the URL of the problem page. This data can help you pinpoint patterns related to common problems with websites.Check all functions periodically
If you have a website beyond a static brochure with your contact information, it's likely to have functions that require some maintenance. Check them periodically and make sure they're still doing what they need to be doing. Your email signup form isn't working? Your contact form is no longer sending email? You're missing out on opportunities for new clients.
Even if you don't have any website functions beyond a single page about your company, there are still things you need to check regularly. Take time to test your links and update them if necessary. If you notice someone has linked to one of the pages on your site, thank them for it! The same goes for those who leave comments on blog posts: respond appropriately where needed (even if just saying thanks).Keep on top of your website to avoid missing potential problems.
The importance of monitoring your website cannot be overstated. When a visitor clicks on a broken link or an error occurs, the customer experience is compromised. Perhaps the visitor will try again later, but why take the chance? You need to be alerted as quickly as possible when there is an issue with your site.
Frequent monitoring allows you to detect errors and fix them right away. If left unchecked, critical errors may go overlooked for prolonged periods of time and negatively affect your business. Your website should be checked regularly to ensure that all functions are performing properly and are in good working order.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.